Positive Behaviour Support
- Support category - Improved Daily Living Skills
- Support item - Training for Parents and Carers
- Reference number - 15_038_0117_1_3
Who is this workshop for?
Parents and carers of children with Down syndrome aged between two and eight years.
When and where
Course date: Saturday 20th October 2018
Time: 10:30am – 2:00pm
Location: 18/71 Victoria Crescent, Abbotsford.
Positive Behaviour Support (PBS) is an evidence-based approach which aims to increase a person’s quality of life and decrease the frequency and severity of behaviours that may be negatively impacting the individual and the people in their life. The term “challenging behaviour” is often used to label unwanted behaviour. This workshop will develop your understanding of PBS and how behaviour can be viewed as a means of communication. You will learn how to use PBS to interpret what your child is trying to communicate via his/her behaviour along with strategies and techniques you can begin to introduce with your child in order to address and manage behaviours following a strengths-based approach.
What will be covered?
- What is behaviour and what does it mean?
- What is positive behaviour support?
- Identify possible strategies to begin to address specific behaviours of concern
Guest speakers: Jenni Salathiel, Specialist Teacher Early Intervention
Facilitator: Sonia Bonadio, Training and Information Manager and Family Support Worker, Down Syndrome Victoria